Friday, June 11, 2010

What our river tells about Filipinos

Each country boasts of an iconic landmark that reminds the people of the place. For example, River Thames in London seen below. The Eye of London gives you a view of the city.


In the heart of Seoul, there's a story that we should all take to heart. It's the story of Cheonggyecheon, a rehabilitated stream that has been a tourist spot in the city. Lee Myung Bak, then mayor of Seoul, had a vision to revive the stream that has been neglected for a long time. The mayor had a political will and succeeded in his project to restore the 6 km stream that run across the city.


I wonder if our environment is ever a priority of our government. Since FVR, I haven't heard any Philippine President pushing to clean the Pasig River. The two rivers I mentioned were testimonies of how much they value the significance of sustainable growth. I'm pretty sure that our politicians may have seen these rivers in one of their numerous foreign travels abroad using the people's hard-earned cash.

Before I end this entry, let me show the video I took when we took the Pasig River Ferry going to Ongpin last month. See how we have taken the Pasig River for granted...




Happy 112th Independence Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment